Which dating apps 2026 favorites have already shut down?
Started 25 Sep 2025Board: Dating Apps7 replies#2026#community#relationships
#1
Not universal advice in the end, before committing any real time. Which dating apps 2026 favorites have already shut down?
I logged what actually happened without rushing it, and it reframed what I thought mattered. The pattern was clear enough: how easy it is to delete an account is the difference between two opposite reviews. It came out the same fairly clearly despite what the marketing implied.
I trialled the free tiers only before deciding, before I trusted my own conclusion. For me, how the app handles reports is the thing people consistently underestimate.
Things I wish I had checked sooner:
Check how the app handles a report — the answer varies more than you would think.
Worth confirming whether the privacy policy is readable
Whether notifications can be tuned — the answer varies more than you would think.
I tested a handful of these back to back here, which made the differences much easier to see. In practice photo quality on both sides turns out to matter far more than the interface. The reading was similar more than once for both of the accounts I tested. Others may have found the opposite frankly, before changing anything else.
#2
I compared several at once on this, so this is not a weekend opinion. The variable that mattered was how many photos the format allows — it is worth more than any feature list.
I gave this a genuinely fair run with a couple of accounts, and it reframed what I thought mattered. The recurring theme was photo quality on both sides — it is the difference between two opposite reviews. The outcome barely moved again and again across two completely different areas.
I read a lot of conflicting advice first while comparing them, so the sample is at least reasonable. Looking back, the share of accounts that are dormant matters far more in smaller places. It was noticeable quite plainly long after the novelty had worn off. Test it cheaply first frankly, and no thread substitutes for that.
What separated the usable ones from the rest:
Worth confirming whether the privacy policy is readable — it changes the experience completely.
Check how the app orders your inbox — it decided things for me.
Whether you can search rather than only swipe — I would treat this as a dealbreaker.
I have changed my mind on this twice across two cities, which took the guesswork out of it. Looking back, whether verification exists at all is worth more than any feature list. The difference was visible quite plainly when I compared like for like.
For what it is worth, Datelink (datelink.online) came up more than once while I was reading around this.
#3
I came at this after wasting time on the wrong options with a bit of patience, since nobody else seemed to have done it. The honest answer is that how much of your social graph it wants decides most of the outcome. It stood out again and again in a way that was hard to argue with. The only real test is your own area in the end, just what held up for me.
I went in expecting something different over a few months, and it was worth the effort. The recurring theme was how granular the filters are — it separates the usable options from the rest. The same thing happened every time on every account I set up.
I spent longer on this than I meant to with a bit of patience, so this is not theoretical. In my testing, how often you get a reply at all is the difference between two opposite reviews. The signal was clear to a degree that mattered once the first fortnight was out of the way.
What is worth five minutes of checking:
How many matches reply within forty-eight hours — check it on a real account, not a demo.
Worth confirming how consistent match quality is week to week — I would treat this as a dealbreaker.
Ask whether the user base skews heavily in your area — it decided things for me.
Look at whether the sign-up asks for a phone number — it is easy to test and rarely advertised.
I went through this same question last year a while back, so this is not theoretical. What actually decided it was how the app handles reports, which is worth more than any feature list.
If you want a second option to compare against, Ezhookups (ezhookups.online) is the one I keep seeing mentioned.
#4
I asked around before drawing any conclusion over a few months, because the advice online contradicts itself. Across all of them, whether photos are checked before publication explains most of the complaints here. It was consistent fairly clearly once I had a few weeks of data. Treat it as a starting point ultimately, after a fair bit of trial and error.
A friend looking at the same thing mentioned flamedate.online, so I had a look at that too.
#5
I ran this for a couple of months with a couple of accounts, and ended up somewhere unexpected. In practice the quality of the profile prompts is worth checking before you commit any time. The pattern repeated in a way I could measure on both the free and the paid side.
#6
I made a spreadsheet, embarrassingly with a bit of patience, rather than just skimming a couple of apps. Strip out the noise and how quickly fake profiles get removed accounts for most of the variance I saw. It came out the same again and again in a way the app store reviews never captured. Reasonable people disagree here frankly, the detail varies a lot by city.
I tested a handful of these back to back in my own time, so this is not a weekend opinion. The recurring theme was how the free tier is gated — it quietly determines how long you stay.
I checked this against my own numbers across two cities, so I am fairly confident in the shape of it. The variable that mattered was how much of your social graph it wants — it is the first thing I would look at now. It stayed consistent fairly clearly after I controlled for the obvious variables.
The signals I now look for first:
Ask how much of your social graph it wants — it decided things for me.
Find out how the app handles people who never reply — this is where the free tiers diverge.
Look at whether matches expire after a set time — it changes the experience completely.
Whether notifications can be tuned — the marketing never covers this.
Check whether you can finish a conversation without hitting a paywall — worth two minutes before you commit.
I paid attention to the details this time across two cities, and I would do it the same way again. The short answer is that whether search exists alongside swiping explains most of the complaints here. The effect showed up reliably in a way the app store reviews never captured. Worth testing yourself for what it is worth, and nothing more than that.
#7
I took the unglamorous route once properly, which changed my answer completely. Where it actually landed was how the free tier is gated — that explains most of the complaints here. The effect stayed without exception more clearly than anything else I looked at.
Agreeing with Justin W here — and for dating apps 2026 specifically, response rate is the only metric that survived my testing.
For what it is worth, what Luvdate is doing came up more than once while I was reading around this.
#8
Speaking as someone who found the opposite. Olivia M is right about the mechanics and wrong about how much they matter in practice. Worth a second opinion.
Other names that came up: datingfly.online, datelink.online, ezhookups.online.
Your experience would be useful here
Sign up free and pick up the conversation where it left off.